Re: missing kde control center

On Thursday 03 May 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Run kmenuedit and add it back in.  For completeness the command used to
>>> call kcontrol from kmenu is "kcontrol -caption "%c" %i %m".
>>
>> Thanks.  But that also is on the missing list.
>>
>> But I ran it from a shell, and got this output in the shell:
>>
>> [root@coyote init.d]# kmenuedit
>> [root@coyote init.d]# X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
>>   Major opcode:  20
>>   Minor opcode:  0
>>   Resource id:  0x22002a7
>> X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
>>   Major opcode:  20
>>   Minor opcode:  0
>>   Resource id:  0x2200587
>> X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
>>   Major opcode:  20
>>   Minor opcode:  0
>>   Resource id:  0x22005c0
>> X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
>>   Major opcode:  20
>>   Minor opcode:  0
>>   Resource id:  0x2200697
>> QInputContext: cannot create input context for non-toplevel widgets
>> QInputContext: cannot create input context for non-toplevel widgets
>>
>> I added both kmenuedit and kcontrol to the 'system settings' submenu, and
>> that appears to have worked ok.
>
>That's strange.  Those other errors would seem to indicate something else is
>also hosed.  Not that it is common, but have you tried the dreaded reboot?
> :-)

Possibly not since this occurred.  However, rebooting is not a huge pain here
as I test each new patch in the cpu scheduler contest, the biggest pita is
the reinstall of the nvidia.ko driver each time I switch to a freshly built
kernel.  But, I just tried something, if the module is striped, all diff that
cmp can detect are gone, so my next experiment is to see if it will run with
a reboot to the currently running kernel, after that module has been striped.
If so, then I have a script that will handle that chore already written.

Well, rebooted now, no change to the kmenu once x is started.  And the idea to
bypass the lengthy install of the nvidia.ko module was un-ceremoniously
booted out the door, it seems that modprobe cannot load a stripped module.
Grrr.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)