Re: problem with 1680x1050 resolution

Thanks for your help.. however I have had too many problems with Fedora recently for fundamentally easy things and Ubuntu was no better... I know there are fixes for these issues but I just do not have the time to spend two days trying to get my 22" monitor to work...when in Windows it works in about 15 seconds... I will keep using Fedora however it will be in a VM machine under windows for now...

On 4/26/07, Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Phil wrote:
> I am using FC6 and my video car is the Intel915
>
> I cannot get my new E228WFP dell 22" monitor to work at it's
> recommended resolution.
>
> I have installed the latest i810 drivers for my card still no luck...
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You are probably trying too hard.  Fedora has had for several years a
couple of fundamental problems with divining proper display settings.
Many have beenn fixed, but many yet remain.

Here are some suggestions.

Disable Red Hat Graphical Boot (rggb).
    Edit /etc/grub.conf (/boot/grub/grub.conf) and remove all
occurrences of rhgb

Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf and let it be generated on the next boot.  The
first time it is generated it can be confused by rhgb.  The firstboot
startup script will recognize that your mionitor is not configured

Now then.  Still troubles?  (check with xdpyinfo | grep dimensions:)

Your monitor did not respond correctly to the EDID request.
Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and look for EDID.  The three or four lines
above the EDID line are the responses.  Are they correct?  If not, then
you get to calculate a Modeline for your monitor.  The Modeline goes
into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

For example, the Dell 2405FPW responds with a frequency that is .5 too
low to allow an automatic calculation of 1920x1200.

So I had to force it not to check:

        Option      "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"

Your mileage may vary, but almost all of the current X11R7 video drivers
can read a EDID and do the right thing, if the monitor responds correctly.

Good luck!