Re: [OT] Re: whats with this love of kaffiene?

On Saturday 28 April 2007, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> >Orbital mechanics is just fine with
>> >that.
[...]>
>The Earth's orbital velocity is (roughly) 30 km/s, so in 8 minutes it moves
>for around 30*8*60 = 14400 kilometers. Now, IIRC, a mile is about two
>kilometers, so it amounts to around 7000 miles or so. I guess that was what
>you were reffering to. :-)

No, in fact I was referring to the same motional wobble that we use to detect
extra-solar planets.  With the huge diff in the relative masses of the earth
compared to the sun, the effect takes some obviously large numbers to
calculate and is precisely why we haven't (yet) found any real earth sized
planets, at earth orbit distances, around any of our neighboring stars.  But
its out of phase with the vector of the pull from gravity if pv=C, and that
energy transfer is an orbital decay mechanism that would have spiraled the
earth into the sun billions of years ago.  If gravity's pv is essentially
instant, then the orbit works because it changes the attractive vector by the
amount it takes to compensate as we move the sun in those 8 minutes it takes
the light to get here, converting it into a straight center of mass to center
of mass line.

Damn, I wish I could find that link, just so you could see if the guy is
making any sense.  And he is an astrophysics prof someplace, I did check that
claim out at the time.
[...]

>"Do not trust a man with a digital wrist watch."
>"Do not trust everything you read on the Web."
>
>Ancient Chinese sayings... :-)

:)

>(As a side note, I do wear a wrist watch, but it is both analog and digital,
>so I don't know how much I should be trusted... :-) )

Chuckle.

I have one of each, a Casio for daily wear, and a Rolex for Saturday nights at
the lake.  The Casio keeps better time than that $5k Rolex in case anyone is
interested, so save your sheckles & wear the Casio.  And no, I didn't buy the
Rolex, it was the retirement "Gold Watch" I got when I retired (or tried to
depending on whether you count the success) from being the CE at WDTV since
1984.

>Best, :-)
>Marko

To you too Marco.  This is an interesting conversation, stretching the mind of
some, and boring to the others we lost halfway to first base. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)