whats with this love of kaffiene?

Greetings;

2 or 3 weeks ago I had mplayer all setup to play just about anything I clicked
on in FF and in kmail.

But something recently has shot that puppy dead and replaced it with kaffiene.
And since kaffiene doesn't seem to recognize most of the .wmv etc proprietary
format files that might get thrown at it, it winds up being about as usefull
as those small appendages on the belly of a boar hog.

I went into kde's control center, file associations, found the x-wmv thingy,
and saw first that it was set for kplayer, which wasn't even being attempted,
but I added mplayer to the menu, made it top on the list and saved it.

That was the last time I was able to find mplayer anywhere in the kmenu until
I had smart rip it and 3 other items out, and then replace mplayer and the
mplayer plugin.  That's a big WT(character of your choice) right there...

mplayer does play the link just fine once I can figure out how to paste the
url into its requestor, but that brand new, teeny little control panel it now
has, hides the bottom half of it behind the kickstart panel so only the top
half shows up above the clipboard, kwallet, kmix etc icons just to the left
of the clock in the lower right corner of the screen.  Kind of worthless as
above when you cannot get at any of its buttons.

So, how to fix those 2 items?  And, even better, keep them fixed.

Thanks everybody.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)