Re: Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Rex Dieter wrote:
Paul Osunero wrote:
You know, I've been wondering why Red Hat hasn't tried to pay royalty
for media codecs.  I'm pretty sure they have enough money for it...

They could, for rhel, but that goes against Fedora's principles/objectives.

Or mabye there are legal issues with including patented technology with
Linux/GNU software?

One more: redistributability.  One of Fedora's objectives is to be fully
redistributable (ie, so folks can spin their own Fedora-based distros).
 Paid-for codecs are (generally) distributable only by the party that
bought/paid-for them.

Why doesn't anyone ever mention realplayer (http://www.real.com/linux) as a solution for people who want a legal player for their own use and aren't interested in source code or being a software distributer? It isn't quite itunes, but at least they are trying to make something usable for linux.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx