Re: Looking for GNOME language bar (?): Want to switch input language quickly

Great, now it works! The link
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-April/msg00376.html
explained where my problem originated from.

For those who might come after me:
From Fedora 7 on, SCIM is not activated by default anymore on installation.
To be able to continuously switch between English and an Asian language
during a session, both have to be installed and one has to run
"im-chooser" from the command line and then choose "Use custom input
method: scim". Then the language bar will appear with a small "SCIM"
icon in the corner of GNOME.

Thanks for resolving this...
Matthias

2007/4/27, Warren Togami <wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Matthias Kredler wrote:
>> When installing Fedora 7, I included language support for
>> English and Japanese. It seems to me that the required
>> package for Japanese is there, since Japanese web sites
>> are displayed.
>>
>> My problem is the following: I would like to have something
>> like a language bar in GNOME so that I can change
>> quickly from inputting English text to inputting Japanese
>> characters in one session without having to re-boot. I
>> believe that I saw some language bar with customizable
>> keyboard shortcuts to do just that in Fedora Core 6 on
>> friends machine, but I couldn't find any reference to
>> something like this in the Fedora 7 support and when
>> searching the web.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be great!
>
> You would need to install SCIM and its frontend depending on the desktop
> environment you are using. Also the discussions in
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-April/msg00376.html
> might be interesting to you.
>
> Rahul

Simply type:
yum groupinstall japanese-support

Then relogin to your desktop.  Run "im-chooser" to be sure that SCIM is
launched.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx