Re: logger for cron job

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 14:36 +0000,  wrote:
> Tim <ignored_mailbox <at> yahoo.com.au> writes:
>
> > > /etc/cron.hourly/feeds-on-feeds:
> > >
> > > /etc/cron.hourly/feeds-on-feeds: line 1: /usr/local/bin/GET: No such file or
> > > directory

Tim:
>> Re-write the script to use your GET, or put a GET where it's looking for
>> one.

Thufir:
> Meaning just "mkdir /usr/local/bin/GET" , as one option?  I'd considered that,
> but was hesitant to muck with directory structure like that.

No, "GET" is a file, not a directory (see man GET for what it does).
It'd be more like...

If you have to:
mkdir /usr/local/bin
(But this probably already exists, and doesn't need making.)

Then, either:
cp /usr/bin/GET /usr/local/bin/
(Copy the GET file over to where the script wants it, from where you
already have it.)

Or:
ln -s /usr/bin/GET /usr/local/bin/GET
(Make a link to the real file, from where the script is looking for it.
That saves on duplicate files.  Or worse, from having two different
versions of a file, because one got automatically updated, and the other
didn't.)

> So why does the cronjob example on the webpage have a URL in it, then?

I don't really know, I don't know how the author's mind works.  It'd be
easier if they'd provided a comment saying put the URI to your feed
where I've placed a dummy URI.  Or prefaced it with a comment saying
auto-update URI.  But I didn't see a hint in any direction.  I got a 404
error if I tried that link.  Try experiementing with the URI to a feed,
there.

NB:  I haven't downloaded and looked at it, I've just perused their
website, as I noticed this thread.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.