To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: how to mount a cd-rw/dvd-rom drive

Scott Berry wrote:

I think I have another question now.  Okay the /media directory is not
showing anything.  I have actually the Fedora 7 test cd which has
checked out okay on my Sony Windows system.  I am using this as a
secondary slave.

What is the meaning of "secondary slave"?

But Gnome does not see it or nor does the dvd get
booted when the computer is restarted. I do see it in the Bios so that
tells me the cables are fine. Do you have any suggestions?

Become root and look in your /var/log/dmesg file and find the lines where
the drive is detected on boot.  It will probably look something like:

Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: SONY DVD RW DRU-830A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Then, just for a test, type...(note hda is an example since that it what is
on my system)

mount /dev/hda /dev/mnt

What are the results?

Scott

Just as a note:  Many people prefer postings as I have done here.  The
comments questions are placed "inline".  Many people feel it is easier to
follow a discussion and are irritated by "top posting" as it seems to get
confusing trying to follow it.  In other words, the context of a
comment/response gets lost.