To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: how to mount a cd-rw/dvd-rom drive

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 17:53 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
How would one automatically mount a combo drive which is both dvd and
cd-rw?

If it has CD-R capabilities (-R, +R, -RW, +RW), it'll show up
as /dev/cdwriter.  If it has DVD-R capabilities (-R, +R, -RW, +RW),
it'll show up as /dev/dvdwriter.  My DVD+-RW drive shows up as:

/dev/dvd, /dev/dvd-hdd, /dev/dvdrw, /dev/dvdrw-hdd,
/dev/dvdwriter, /dev/dvdwriter-hdd

However, it _also_ shows up as:

/dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom-hdd, /dev/cdrw, /dev/cdrw-hdd,
/dev/cdwriter, /dev/cdwriter-hdd

so it's obvious my drive can "do it all" (well, it's not a multi-layer
or blueray drive).

Note, however, that ALL of those names are really just symbolic links
to the actual device.  In my case, the DVD+-RW drive is the slave
drive on my second IDE controller, or /dev/hdd (which is what all the
"-hdd" stuff in the names indicate).  Since all of the /dev/cd* and
/dev/dvd* names are just symlinks to /dev/hdd, I could use any of them
or use /dev/hdd directly.  My choice.

Now, as to how it mounts, if you have blank media in the drive it's not
mountable anyway.  Nautilus (Gnome) or Konqueror (KDE) will probably
show the blank media so you can drop files on it and have them burned to
the media if you want, but it's not mounted anywhere.

If it has mountable media in it, udev will most likely automount it
somewhere in the /media directory.  If there's a volume label on the
media, the mountpoint will be "/media/volume-label-found-on-the-media".