Re: whats with this love of kaffiene?

On Thursday 26 April 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:
>Gene,
>
>> But I have to ask again, where in tuncket are the docs on this stuff?  Why
>> do Ric and I, and lots of others by inference, have to hit the end of our
>> rope and blow up using 3 and 4 letter words before info such as this is
>> made available?
>
>Dare I say this is "normal"?  Speaking in generalities, developers don't
>enjoy doing documentation.  Also, generally speaking, developers make poor
>documenters.

We both know that Ed, and I dare say quite a few of the users have realized
this over the last 5 years as the docs situation has slowly deteriorated.
The writers think its just as easy to put the info on the net & walk away,
hiding from any email asking questions while they work on the next great
thing.  But whats on the net is very often volatile and by the time we manage
to find it, 2 generations obsolete.

Back when I was carving code for the amiga, I made sure that if I didn't get
around to doing decent docs, anyone walking through it could figure out how
both my mind, and the program worked, just by reading the comments.  Heck I
even went to so far as to include within one printer driver I wrote, a key
dot command that would cause the program to scan its own code and print the
comments in manual form, probably resulting in a better explained utility
than a manpage did 5 years back before everybody got on this xml crap and
then didn't bother to tell any but the very geekiest, how to run a conversion
proggy and actually get an info or manpage out of that crap that was actually
readable.

>I worked for a company that transitioned from a hardware company to more of
>an integration and software company.  The demographics of the company
>remained largely the same.  i.e. Mostly engineers and techies.  The result,
>good software, horrendous documentation.  And, these folks were paid.

I believe the release managers for most distro's are too.  Except for debian
maybe.  I'd think that enforcing good docs out of this "herd of semi-feral
cats" could be done a little more firmly.  Sigh...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)