User creation script

Anyone have pointers (or examples) of a script that can be used to create new users and set their password at the same time? I need something I can call like so:

   script USERNAME PASSWORD

   ...and have it return 1 or 0 for failure or success.

This is going to be used by another application with the arguments USERNAME and PASSWORD passed to it. And this will also be running through sudo (from some protected area.)