Re: OT: VPS: Hosting providers? How it's done?

At 5:38 PM -0500 4/24/07, Chris Mohler wrote:
>On 4/24/07, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>[...]
>
>Well....  It appears that even though we have kernel RPMs installed,
>they are not in use:
>
># uname -r
>2.6.9-023stab033.9-enterprise

Similar to what I saw on the GoDaddy server.

># modprobe -l
>FATAL: Could not load
>/lib/modules/2.6.9-023stab033.9-enterprise/modules.dep: No such file
>or directory
>
>We've been using the VPS for a small apache and IMAP server - I
>haven't had the need to mess with the kernel or modules.

I wanted to set up a firewall, as running bare bothers me and the logs were
showing enough attempts to make it worthwhile, especially for FTP.  I found
that I couldn't use any iptables modules, state, tcp, udp, or recent, which
made for a rather useless firewall.  I think that those modules and others
could reasonably be preloaded or built into the kernel and so made
available to all the clients, but I don't know if any hosting company does
it.