Re: How to run script (sleep360) without delaying bootup

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 17:11 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Ntpd on my FC2 install has a problem when no dialup connection is
> available at bootup, but does handle this well on FC6.

If your computer is only on the net sporadically, it might be better to
forgo NTP and just call ntpdate after the connection is made (there are
post PPP scripts for running things after the connection is up).  But if
your computer does stay on-line most of the time, then you might do the
same thing (a post PPP up script) with restarting NTP instead of just a
once-off NTP clock and date setting.

I used to do the latter, when I was on dial-up, though I don't recall
the name of the script I used.  If you examine the scripts called when
going on-line, you can see what other scripts they look for.  There'll
be something for this, as a default file (it'll run it if it exists, and
not care if it doesn't), it saves you from modifying standard files that
might get unmodified during an update.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.