Re: Time Lapse with a Webcam

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 23:06 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> Actually I only have a black screen. I got camE working and that looks
> like what I need to use to take the snap shots.
>
> Anyone know what resolution I should be using for my camera to use it
> to it's max potential?
>
> Will it do 640x480?
>
> Thanks.

Hi, Thom,
    Check out the material on your Webcam.  If you don't thave the
documentation, enter its model number in google and check the specs.
Some older webcams were only 320x240, some were 640x480 and some of the
new ones go to 1024x768.  If you are using a regular camera with a
webcam interface you will have to check its settings on its internal
menu.

Using a higher resolution than the camera will not buy you much unless
the interface software has some form of internal filtering or gaussian
screening.  There has been some work done with 2d fouriers and a
sampling technique to produce better looking higher resolution images,
but if the camera doesn't provide enough color bits, it can look foggy.

Regards,
Les H