Re: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4000400)

On 04/20/2007 08:50 PM, Anthony J Placilla wrote:
--
Sjoerd Mullender
> Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

>>> Well the first question that comes to mind is what type of media is it?
>>>
>>> Detailed info please
>>>
>> Oops.  Harddisk.  The system is a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with two
>> internal drives.  The second drive (hdc) is the original one and so used
>> to work fine.  There is a single partition with a file system that until
>> recently (I don't know when I actually tried last) worked well.
>>

> have you run fsck at the disk?
>
> what does fdisk -l /dev/hdc say?
>
> what does e2label /dev/hdc1 say?
>
> and how is it being mounted? from fstab? What are the relevant lines?

# fsck /dev/hdc1
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
fsck.ext3: Filesystem revision too high while trying to open /dev/hdc1
The filesystem revision is apparently too high for this version of e2fsck.
(Or the filesystem superblock is corrupt)

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

# e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdc1
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdc1

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

# fdisk -l /dev/hdc

Disk /dev/hdc: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdc1   *           1        4864    39070048+  83  Linux
# e2label /dev/hdc1
e2label: Filesystem revision too high while trying to open /dev/hdc1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
# grep hdc1 /etc/fstab
# grep hdc /etc/auto.misc
virtual         -fstype=ext3            :/dev/hdc1
#

It's normally mounted through the automounter.  This has worked.

--
Sjoerd Mullender