Re: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Today Tim did spake thusly:

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 08:07 +0100, Scott van Looy wrote:
For other issues:

1) reboot

Rarely needed on Linux, even for major configuration changes.  Needed
all the time with Windows, repeatedly, and a major waste of time.  A few
seconds of reconfiguring something on Linux becomes minutes on Windows.

YMMV, but I don't seem to ever have this problem. Unless I'm updating the system through windows update or updating my AV engine I'm rarely asked to reboot anything. Windows runs fine for me, and I turn my PC off when I'm not using it to save leccy so I usually don't need to reboot at all and just hit "reboot later" if requested

2) last known good

On Linux, undo the last thing that you did that stuffed things up.  On
Windows, try and undo a swag of unidentified things that stuffed you up,
not really knowing which one it was, and not being able to undo just one
thing.

Same with Linux, depends on your knowledge of the system really. If you're using yum to remove a package and mysteriously your X Windows system vanishes then what happens?

This wouldn't happen to you or me, but would to, say, a newbie, who'd then post here, etc...

For windows, you install a driver, it breaks your system, you boot into safe mode and uninstall it, surely? Same diff. If you're not happy with your knowledge of the OS then either learn or use something else...that applies to ANY OS.

3) safe mode (if it runs in safe mode, try rebooting, sometimes that's
enough to fix things, sometimes not). Fix the issue there

Turns out "safe mode" isn't really as safe as the name would imply.
You're truly stuffed if you need to boot in safe mode, yet need to use
things that don't work in safe mode (e.g. your network).

"Safe Mode With Network Support"

Safe mode basically loads the default video drivers and IO drivers and that's about it. If you ask it to you can load the network drivers too. This is to minimise the chances of an errant driver breaking things when it boots into safe mode, as it's almost without fail badly written 3rd party hardware drivers that make windows keel over

4) insert Windows CD and let it automatically find and repair windows
by going through the install wizard until you reach the bit where it
finds your old copy of windows and can reinstall

Fine, maybe, if the fault is a broken Windows file.  But not if it's a
driver from somewhere else.  You're in wipe out and fix up mode, since
it's damn near impossible to replace just one stuffed up file.

Nah, it does a redetect of all your hardware and a reconfiguration. If it's only a missing a stuffed up driver then safe mode would work and you'd be able to uninstall that driver

5) IF it won't run or won't reinstall correctly, then and ONLY then,
reinstall

That's not an "if" but a "very often"

No, it's really not. Very rarely to I have to rebuild windows, this has been the case since Windows 2000. I have more trouble with Fedora's updates breaking things than Windows updates.

It's easier to fix windows without reinstalling than it is to fix
fedora
;)

Bollocks.

Nyet, just my opinion tho, and probably that of hundreds of other sysads

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to
cringe.