Re: Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

> > Applications that simply go by the extension name are doing it wrong and
> > should be fixed. As it has already be pointed out there are better ways.
>
> Take an application such as nautilus. AFAIK, nautilus (or gnome-vfs, or
> whatever) used to look inside each file to determine what mime type it
> was, in order to display it alongside the name and attach an icon. This
> was very slow, since it had to open each file in a directory.

Can't comment for gnome. I never use it if I can help it. But in KDE this
doesn't seem to be an issue. konqueror can open directories with many files
and, as far as I can tell, determines their type almost instantly (at least
from my perception it is very very fast).

Maybe gnome could learn from KDE ;)

Chris