Re: System lockup problem when adding more memory - FC5

Cokey wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:
On 4/6/07, Cokey <fdepercin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 5:12 PM -0400 4/5/07, Cokey wrote:
>
>> Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> PAE.
>>>

>> Ok, so? PAE is enabled in the kernel and this box has dual Pentium III
>> which are PAE enabled.  Am I missing something?
>>

> Not you, him, in saying that 4 GB was the max physical memory for a 32 bit
> kernel.

Ok, now in case anyone's interested, I stuffed 7 G in the box (6 X 1G
and 2 X 512) and Windows 2000 server (install) booted just fine.

Also received a different message when I tried to boot Linux...
Kernel panic - not syncing: attempt to kill init

I'm really confused now.

Cokey

Unless you have Advanced Server the box will only see 4GB. Google
search produced this:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Your correct and thanks for pointing that out. Forgot about that. Still, it boots. My Fedora 5 install barfs. I'll have to borrow a copy of advanced server to see if the install will come up. Guess that puts and end to this until next week.

Tnx

Cokey

Still haven't managed to borrow a copy of M$ advanced server... but I did run the memtest86 from the Fedora 6 CD. Recognized 6G and ran for 6 hours with no problems encountered. I really don't think it's a hardware problem. Still looking for suggestions.

Tnx

Cokey

believed to be clean.