Re: root disk moves from PATA to SATA

Verily I say unto thee, that Florin Andrei spake thusly:

> I'm running FC6 on an AthlonXP system. I am planning to upgrade the
> hardware to an Athlon 64 Dual Core. The new motherboard has SATA
> connectors for the hard-drives (also has a PATA connector but that will
> be used for the DVD writer).
>
> I am planning to keep the existing PATA hard-drive and not reinstall FC6
> (I will upgrade to FC7 when it comes out), but instead I'll use a
> SATA-PATA adapter between drive and mobo. The problem, of course, is
> that PATA is /dev/hda while SATA will be /dev/sda
>
> I think /etc/fstab is fine and doesn't need any update, as long as it's
> using disk labels.
>
> But how about grub.conf? Do I need to change (hd0,0) to something else?
> I see it's using labels for pretty much everything else.

GRUB does not distinguish between PATA, SATA, or SCSI, but you'll need
to keep the same BIOS boot order or change GRUB accordingly.

/dev/hda1 = (hd0,0)
/dev/sda1 = (hd0,0)
/dev/hda2 = (hd0,1)
/dev/sda2 = (hd0,1)
/dev/hdb1 = (hd1,0)
/dev/sdb1 = (hd1,0)
/dev/hdb2 = (hd1,1)
/dev/sdb2 = (hd1,1)
etc.

Also your /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/X11/xorg.conf will need updating
if you change mobos, mice, keyboards, graphics, audio, etc. Identifying
the necessary drivers, making sure they're loaded, and have the right
settings will be the toughest part (there are helpers for most things
though, like "Soundcard Detection" etc.).

It won't be easy, but it should be possible, just don't try booting past
level 3 the first time you fire it up with the new hardware, and
scrutinise dmesg carefully.

As for XP, forget it. Just WipeNReinstall®.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2307.fc5
 20:42:48 up 2 days,  4:54,  3 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.37, 0.39