Re: Desktop Effects

On 4/10/07, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Derek Tracy wrote:
> I finally got the proprietary Nvidia Drivers to work (had to recompile
> the drivers from src) with rawhide, but when I went to enable the
> Desktop Effects it bombs out on me.  My question is where is the log
> file that I can find the reason it is dying?
>

> --  R/S
> ---------------------------------
> Derek Tracy
> tracyde@xxxxxxxxx
> ---------------------------------

For information about the previous X session.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

If the bombing does not halt the X session and you can still use the GUI.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
should contain information regarding the possible logging of error messages.

Jim

--
Your business will assume vast proportions.

Well, I kind of fixed the issue.  I started up the Desktop-effects
"manager" from the command line.  When I tried to enable the effects
there were some error messages printed out pointing to XLib Shape
extension, I did some googling on it and found the following command
as a solution that somebody found:
gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool true

After running the command I was able to successfully start
Desktop-Effects.  I hope this helps somebody.

--
Derek Tracy