Re: [Fedora] Re: RAID-1 Question

On 4/10/07, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    FYI, I'm approaching the 4th hour and it's still only at 84%.  Does
anyone on the list have experience with SuperMicro boards taking this
long to build a RAID-1 array?  I just called my vendor and they too said
it takes a long time.  To me this is ridiculous, but maybe that's really
the way it is.  So...anyone?

I know that using my (different) BIOS controller, it will take
forever. In fact, I have never had the patience to wait until it was
complete. However, there is an "online" mode that will allow me to
start using the disk right away while it establishes the RAID 1 set in
the background. Of course, you will not get the redundancy of the RAID
1 set until it is completed but that is a trade-off that you have to
make. Linux software RAID seems to operate similarly to this online
mode according to the HOWTO:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Software-RAID-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.6

/Mike