RAID-1 Question

I have a server that has build-in (in BIOS) the option to use either Adaptec or Intel based RAID. We're going to use it as a RAID-1 (and I've opted to use the Adaptec setup.) However, I'm wondering two things:

1. Should I use the BIOS to create/manage my RAIDs or should I let linux do that for me?

2. Can I add drives to the RAID in the future and simply GROW it, without losing information? Or am I going to be adding more RAID volumes as I add pairs of drives?

The board is a SuperMicro SuperServer 7045B-8R+ with the matching 7045B-TR+ chassis.

   -- A