Re: Alternatives to du

>> I have a need to determine the amount of space used in a particular
>> folder, but don't really want to use du because of the beating my RAID
>> array takes.  (Usually 6 hours or so on a RAID 5 for a folder with about
>> 350GB of data)  Are there any other similar tools out there that don't
>> require smacking around my hard drives to get the data and don't take
>> hours to run?
>
> Huh?  Hours?
>
> As a comparison, I ran du on one of my machines.
>
> AMD Duron 1.3Ghz
> 768MB PC133
> WD 120GB UDMA33 (IDE) hard drive
>
> /dev/hdb1             111G   87G   18G  83% /home/data/share
>
> [root@www share]# ls -Rl|wc -l
> 39091
>
> [root@www share]# date >> /tmp/du.txt; du -h >> /tmp/du.txt; date >>
> /tmp/du.txt
>
> It took 30 seconds.

I should have added the following that was run on the same machine:

/dev/hdc1             230G  207G   12G  95% /home/data/m

[root@www music]# ls -Rl|wc -l
8768

[root@www music]# date > /tmp/du.txt; du -h >> /tmp/du.txt; date >>
/tmp/du.txt

Took < 1 second.

So.  You might want to count your number of files.

You could write a script that uses tree -dfi and du --max-depth=0.  I'm
not sure this would be any faster though.

believed to be clean.