Re: Kernel module 'thermal'

On Monday 09 April 2007, Mark Haney wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> It's built into the Fedora kernel
> >>
> >> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
> >>
> >> Try, eg,
> >>
> >> cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature
> >>
> >> Where the * is defined by your BIOS, eg, THR1.
> >
> > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ is empty!
> >
> > Anne
>
> Sounds to me like ACPI is either not in the kernel or you've added
> noacpi acpi=off to the kernel boot parameters.

No, I haven't messed with boot parameters at all on this box, but now I
remember that there is a boot message

"powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI "

So I guess that's it.  Just a useless bios.

Google turned up this useful link, though.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow!

To check if your currently running kernel supports PowerNow!, do dmesg | grep
powernow

dmesg | grep powernow
powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown processors
(version 2.00.00)
powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects

If you get an error like this:
powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects
Then probably you don't have the Cool'n'Quiet enabled in the BIOS. People have
also reported that they get the same error even if the option is set
correctly. You should ensure your BIOS has support for the feature, since the
linux driver needs frequency tables (PSB) or ACPI methods (_PSS) to work.
Then try if upgrading your BIOS solves the issue. If you have this error,
make sure that you have ACPI Processor support enabled in your kernel, the
non-ACPI ways is disabled on SMP bioses (including those that support X2
processors) and deprecated by AMD.

It's not worth updating the bios, I think.  I'll be upgrading the whole box in
a few weeks.  Funny, or not so funny, in that I left Asus boards after
several years of using them, because I couldn't get lm-sensors to work with
the last Asus board I bought.  I thought Abit would be reliable.

Anne