Re: Fedora 7 - RPM Build Nvidia 9755

On 4/5/07, Jonathan Berry <berryja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/5/07, Derek Tracy <tracyde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 4/5/07, Derek Tracy <tracyde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have been running Fedora 7 for a couple of weeks now and must say it
> > > is a really great distro.  I switched from Gentoo and love not having
> > > to configure every single aspect of my system myself.  With that being
> > > said I have run into a snag, since the kernel keeps changing revisions
> > > I am unable to install Nvidia Drivers from an RPM, so I have
> > > downloaded the src and created an RPM myself.  Everything compiles
> > > fine and installs ok, and it works until I restart my system.
> > >
> > > After a system restart there are some device files that do not get
> > > recreated (/dev/nvidiactl is one of them) and then I am unable to
> > > start the Nvidia Drivers until I uninstall and then reinstall the
> > > Nvidia Driver RPM that I created.  Can somebody point me in the right
> > > direction so I can start hacking away at this issue?
> >
> > There's absolutely nothing to start hacking, and hacking will likely
> > break things far worse.  All of the /dev/nvidia* character devices are
> > created when X is started with the nvidia driver.  If that's not
> > happening then it sounds like your nvidia driver installation is
> > broken.  Does this problem persist if you install the official NVIDIA
> > driver package?
> >

> I have not tried to install the "Official Nvidia Driver Package",
> because, I wanted to install only using RPM's.  The Nvidia driver does
> not create the /dev/nvidia* char devices when X attempts to start.  Is
> it possible that this is an SELinux / Hal permission error?

It is a problem with SELinux.  For some reason, SELinux is preventing
the nvidia* device files from being copied to /dev/ during boot.  See
the Livna Graphics mailing list archives:
http://livna.org/pipermail/freeworld-graphics/2007-March/000170.html
http://livna.org/pipermail/freeworld-graphics/2007-April/000176.html

Jonathan

PS: Fedora 7 is still in testing.  As such, this discussion probably
belongs more on the test list.  And if you wanted to post your
experiences on the Linva list, I am sure that would be welcomed as
well.

That is the exact same problem I am having.  I am going to try to get
ahold of the original poster and see if he had found a solution to the
problem.  Thank you for pointing out the e-mail.

-- R/S
Derek Tracy
tracyde@xxxxxxxxx