Re: Fedora 7 - RPM Build Nvidia 9755

On 4/5/07, Derek Tracy <tracyde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been running Fedora 7 for a couple of weeks now and must say it
is a really great distro.  I switched from Gentoo and love not having
to configure every single aspect of my system myself.  With that being
said I have run into a snag, since the kernel keeps changing revisions
I am unable to install Nvidia Drivers from an RPM, so I have
downloaded the src and created an RPM myself.  Everything compiles
fine and installs ok, and it works until I restart my system.

After a system restart there are some device files that do not get
recreated (/dev/nvidiactl is one of them) and then I am unable to
start the Nvidia Drivers until I uninstall and then reinstall the
Nvidia Driver RPM that I created.  Can somebody point me in the right
direction so I can start hacking away at this issue?

There's absolutely nothing to start hacking, and hacking will likely
break things far worse.  All of the /dev/nvidia* character devices are
created when X is started with the nvidia driver.  If that's not
happening then it sounds like your nvidia driver installation is
broken.  Does this problem persist if you install the official NVIDIA
driver package?

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org