Re: Could not connect to gmail in fedora 6? and Could not run YUM

On 03Apr2007 18:31, frank wang <yixiaodafang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I do not know how to check iptables rules. Could you tell me in detail?

iptables -L -n

will list it all. But it can be cryptic. Chase that later.

You can do certain lower level tests easily, since you say
you can get to some things and not others.

You can test getting (directly) to a web site like this:

  telnet www.google.com 80

Telnet should recite an IP address for the web site. That tells you that
DNS is working. And then it should connect. That tells you that to can
get to it. Get out of telnet by typing ^] (ctrl-]) and the "q" and
"enter".

An example on the local LAN where I am:

  $ telnet web 80
  Trying 10.11.0.9...
  Connected to web.blah.blah.blah.com.au (10.11.0.9).
  Escape character is '^]'.

"web" has been looked up, getting 10.11.0.9. And telnet connected ok.

GMail is https as I recall:

  telnet gmail.com 443

Same deal as for http (port 80).

The results of these tests will help pinpoint your problem.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

This telephone has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a
means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.
        - Western Union memo, 1877