Re: Nameserver Problem [more] -

Tim:
>> I've seen a few things which merely increment the serial number.  Such
>> as the DHCP that comes with Fedora.  If you started off using dates,
>> it'd just add one to the number, and you're left with a nonsense number
>> in the serial code.  Sure, it'll work, as it's a higher number, but it
>> won't mean what you think it did.

Ed Greshko:
> That can happen when you rely on GUI's and don't understand what lies
> beneath.  Can't recall the last time I used a GUI for system
> administration.

There's no GUI involved.  It's how it works, doing all that anything's
supposed to do with the serial number - increment the prior value.  But
initially, you start off with a pre-created zone file.  If you'd created
it using a date-number, it'll only make sense on the first day.  As DHCP
adds and removes information from the zone record, the serial number
just changes by one each time.

Which leads to:

> If you have multiple admins and you don't have a scheme in place as
> well as documented procedures then your problems go much deeper.

The problem with people presuming, as many do, that just playing with
dates is fine.  When dates really have nothing to do with serial
numbers.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.