Re: Nameserver Problem [more] -

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 05:07 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> While that works, you really should be updating the serial number each
> time you make a change to a zone file.

Yes, but there weren't any changes being made to that zone file.  So
it's not needed.  You'd only have to do that if you'd changed records
*in* it.  All we were doing is adding domains that used it.

If the file had changed from:

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns.localdomain.  hostmaster.mail.localdomain. (
                        200 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; ttl
                        )

        IN      NS      ns.localdomain.

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns.localdomain.  hostmaster.mail.localdomain. (
                        200 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; ttl
                        )

        IN      NS      ns.localdomain.

www	IN	A	192.168.1.2

Or any other change of details within it.

*THEN* you'd need to increment the serial number.  By the way, using
dates in serial numbers is only a recommendation.  It's easy enough to
just add "one" to the number.  Using a date only makes it easy to see
when the last change was done.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.