Re: Nameserver Problem [more] -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:
Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:

Eureka! It works, once I figured out that I had to do 'service named restart' each time I made a change, added an address to be blocked.

While that works, you really should be updating the serial number each time you make a change to a zone file. This is good practice to get into if you decide to learn a bit more of bind. I tend to use the YYYYMMDDX format for my serial numbers. Basically 10 changes/day....I seldom do more.

Then all you need do is "kill -1" on the named pid.

I'm strictly an amateur at this computer game, there's a lot I don't know, where is the serial number?

Your comment/help is appreciated. Thanks.

Let's look at one example that Tim gave you....

---------------[begin example]------------------
$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns.localdomain.  hostmaster.mail.localdomain. (
                        200 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire                         86400 ; ttl
                        )

        IN      NS      ns.localdomain.
----------------[end example]-------------------

It is the line that reads:

200 ; serial

In one of my zone files I have....

2006091401 ; serial

You can see I haven't made changes to that zone in quite a while. Also, looks like I use XX back then.

You may find this helpful in the future when you enter the novice stage and start making secondary nameservers. If you don't update (increase) the serial number then even if you restart named the secondary servers will not get updated. They use the serial number to know that a change has been made.

Ed

--
"I'm special!" (twice)

	--Ralph Wiggum