Re: Question on MBR of SATA Raid 1 Software

On 4/1/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 21:14:56 -0400,
  Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I can't seem to do is get my RAID1 set to boot in the first
> place. I tried to install F7test3 using the SiI 3112 controller (and
> consequently dmraid) but it doesn't boot.

Are you sure that grub will work with dmraid?

From what I've read, it ought to.

Unless you have a surprisingly good raid controller on your motherboard,
I would recommend using linux's software raid rather than the raid
controller.

I believe that the SiI 3112 is surpassingly craptastic ... However, it
is the only option that allows me to RAID both my windows partition
and my Fedora partition. What I find surpising is that Windows has
remained oblivious to the whole thing and has booted consistently.

This should work. You might have to tell the bios not to use raid at all.
Also note, that when using linux's software raid, you won't have access
to what was on the drives when you were using the raid controller.

I have been using software raid for several years under fedora. For sure
I have tested it with FC4, FC5, FC6 and F7. I might have also tried it with
FC3.

I did try to fall back to setting up a software RAID but was thwarted
by anaconda telling me something like "this configuration is
unavailable on this platform" as soon as I hit the RAID button in the
partitioning step. Maybe this is just a bug in the latest test
installer.

/Mike