Re: Question on MBR of SATA Raid 1 Software

On 3/4/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:31:26 -0800,
  Justin Zygmont <jzygmont@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi, what I did about this, was to install grub on the second HD:
>
> root (hd1,x)
> find /boot/grub/stage1
> setup (hd1)

If you pull hd0 or it fails in a way where it isn't seen any more, just doing
the above won't work. After doing the above to set things up on hd1, you
should set the root back to hd0 and then do another setup(hd1). That way
when this drive becomes hd0 after a failure, it will be able to find the
files it needs.

I am just looking into this and from what I understand you have to
install grub on the second disk in a way where it thinks it is the
first disk. you do this with the device command:

device (hd0) /dev/sdb #make grub think hd0 is sdb rather than sda
root (hd0,x) # where x is the your systems root partition on hd0
(which is sdb now)
setup (hd0) # setup grub in hd0 (which is sdb now)

What I can't seem to do is get my RAID1 set to boot in the first
place. I tried to install F7test3 using the SiI 3112 controller (and
consequently dmraid) but it doesn't boot.
So I deleted the RAID set in the RAID BIOS and treated them as
separate drives and the installer says that my platform is unsupported
when I click the Software RAID button in the partitioning step. Has
anyone had success with this setup with previous Fedora releases?
Could I have an old buggy BIOS firmware?

/Mike