Re: Checking download stream speed

Paul Smith wrote:
Dear All

How can I know whether my modem/router is synchronized at 8Mbps for
download stream?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

The bandwidth test sites mentioned offer a decent method of testing Internet connection performance. As mentioned, other network traffic will interfere with your results so I'd recommend you average out several tests over a few days (and at different times). I do this when testing changes to my firewall/router. I'm not really interested in maximum speeds just the average.

Comcast, my ISP, advertises 8Mbps down but I typically see 6Mbps down (and 390kbps up). I intend to call them to make sure I'm receiving their "fastest" service as they've added speed tiers to their Internet offering. (long after I was a subscriber)

As for synchronization et cetera. I have a Motorola SB5100 from Comcast. It's diagnostic interface is accessible by pointing a web browser to 192.168.100.1. The only relevant information I can see from these web pages includes signal-to-noise, power level and error logs. Google your make/model cable modem for information on how to access it's diagnostic info.

HTH,
-Brian