Re: Nameserver Problem

Tony Nelson wrote:

Tim -- is this also a solution for my problem?  I have set up a local
server (on CentOS 4.4) to test a replacement for a real server with a
domain name (running RH 7.2).  The local server should always resolve that
domain name to itself, so as to properly test itself and not the real
server.  Just adding lines to /etc/hosts was insufficient, probably because
DNS queries (dig, nslookup) still see the real server.  I'm trying to avoid
really understanding BIND at this time, as I have plenty of other issues to
deal with, and the new server, when deployed, won't need this testing DNS
configuration.

If you don't want to understand named and how to configure it then try the following.

1.  Remove the /etc/resolv.conf
2. Create a /etc/hosts file that contains all of the information needed and that includes all of the servers that host may need to contact for testing purposes.
3.  Edit the /etc/nsswitch and change the "hosts" line to have "files" only.

--
Being frustrated is disagreeable, but the real disasters in life begin
when you get what you want.