Re: Nameserver Problem

At 2:25 PM +0930 3/29/07, Tim wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 16:46 -0700, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>> I have caching-nameserver running on FC6.  No matter what I do it will
>> note recognizea zone set as a Slave.
>>
>> The whole purpose of this machine is to be a secondary DNS.
>
>I think you'll have to explain what you've tried.  A very brief synopsis
>of how I've done what you're trying (run a caching name server, also as
>a slave server for local DNS) follows:
>
>I added two configuration files, and left the remaining ones as they
>were:
>
>My "/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf" file:
>
>---------------[begin paste]------------------
>## LAN:
>
>view  lan_resolver {
>        match-clients      { localhost; };
>        match-destinations { localhost; };
>        include "/etc/lan.conf";
>        include "/etc/rndc.key";
>};
>
>include "/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf";
>
>## end of file
>---------------[end paste]------------------
>
>You'd want to customise where my example uses "localhost" to suit the
>networks you're going to allow to query the server.
>
>And my "/var/named/chroot/etc/lan.conf" file:
>
>---------------[begin paste]------------------
>## LAN:
>
>zone "lan.example.com" {
>        type slave;
>        file  "slaves/lan.example.com.zone";
>        masters { 192.168.1.2; };
>};
>
>zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>        type slave;
>        file  "slaves/1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone";
>        masters { 192.168.1.2; };
>};
>
>---------------[end paste]------------------
>
>Then my slave zone files get created, automatically in
>"/var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves".  And that's it...

Tim -- is this also a solution for my problem?  I have set up a local
server (on CentOS 4.4) to test a replacement for a real server with a
domain name (running RH 7.2).  The local server should always resolve that
domain name to itself, so as to properly test itself and not the real
server.  Just adding lines to /etc/hosts was insufficient, probably because
DNS queries (dig, nslookup) still see the real server.  I'm trying to avoid
really understanding BIND at this time, as I have plenty of other issues to
deal with, and the new server, when deployed, won't need this testing DNS
configuration.