Re: Where did my sound go?

On Thursday 29 March 2007 02:07, david walcroft wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:
> >>
> >> but

> >> I have got "system-config-soundcar"d going now,but 'updating driver'
> >
> > In system-config-soundcard->System click "Reload audio driver". Then
> > click "Apply". It may take a few seconds for your system to respond to
> > the Apply command. After that go to system-config-soundcard->Sound
> > Test and click on the Start button ">".
>
> I have done that with no result
>
> >> does nothing and the error '/dev/dsp' is not installed or similar on a
> >> reboot; "ls -l /dev/dsp" shows nothing.
> >> My modprobe.conf is
> >>
> >>  install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0: &&
> >> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> >>
> >> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> >> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> >
> > By the way, do you have ACPI enabled on your system. My system is so
> > old that it does not have ACPI capabilities.
> >
> >> Hope this helps   David
>
> /dev/dsp does not exist,how do I set it up as a device with Major and
> Minor numbers.
>
>     David

I may have missed a bit of this thread, but looking back through my inbox I
found a reference to /dev/dsp. It said, if you are you are using OSS (open
sound system) /dev/dsp should be automatically created on bootup. For Alsa,
you need to have the alsa-oss package installed.

Creating a /dev/dsp is probably going to be a waste of time, as when you
reboot it won't be recreated.

OSS is pretty much deprecated, so to be able to use apps that need OSS, you
need to install the alsa-oss package.

alsa-oss wasn't available at first on FC5, but I see that it turned up in
extras later on, and am presuming it's available for FC6 as well.

2¢ worth of perhaps useless info.

Nigel.