Re: Linux for old laptop?

Looks like it'll be painful to use FC in this laptop? Even for bare
minimum install and then just add KDE?

Alternatively, I've had great experience with lean Slackware
installations, except that it takes more effort to get things up to
date. Usually just FTP download the updates and manually installing
them.

On 3/28/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 11:35 -0400, fredex wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:31:47AM -0500, Chu Jeang Tan wrote:
> > My friend has the following laptop:
> > CPU: Pentium 2 266MHz
> > Memory: 256MB
> > Hard drive: 4gb
> >
> > How would you setup a usable Linux system on this? It should be able
> > to run web browser, open office suite, IM, play MP3, various video
> > formats.
> >
> > Is Fedora a good choice for low powered system?
> >
> > I'd think gnome may be too heavyweight WM and KDE might be a better option.
> >
> > Note that this is for a novice and probably would prefer to configure
> > stuffs through UI rather than text editors.
>
> While it may be possib le toi nstall FC6 or 7 on such a machine, it
> would be very tight for disk space,
No. The critical component would be memory (RAM), not diskspace.

>  very SLOOOOOOWWWWW, and overall painful to use.
Open office will always be painful on with such little RAM ;)

Ralf