Re: Linux for old laptop?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:31:47AM -0500, Chu Jeang Tan wrote:
> My friend has the following laptop:
> CPU: Pentium 2 266MHz
> Memory: 256MB
> Hard drive: 4gb
>
> How would you setup a usable Linux system on this? It should be able
> to run web browser, open office suite, IM, play MP3, various video
> formats.
>
> Is Fedora a good choice for low powered system?
>
> I'd think gnome may be too heavyweight WM and KDE might be a better option.
>
> Note that this is for a novice and probably would prefer to configure
> stuffs through UI rather than text editors.

While it may be possib le toi nstall FC6 or 7 on such a machine, it
would be very tight for disk space, very SLOOOOOOWWWWW, and overall
painful to use.

You may want to look at small distributions like Puppy Linux or DSL (Damn Small Linux).

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ