Re: Got livna fglrx 8.34.8 working on Dell Latitude D810 with AIT X600 /w FC6

On Fri March 23 2007, Dave Perry wrote:
> I had the X600 working well with FC5 and the livna fglrx but after
> installing FC6, had no direct rendering with either the livna or ATI
> proprietary drivers.  Never even got the ATI prorietary drives
> installed. The usually reliable "Unofficial Fedora FAQ" instructions for
> ATI drivers from livna did not work with the 8.34.8 fglrx.  There was
> no
>
> ati-fglrx-config-display after
>
> yum install kmod-fglrx.
>
> A similar link
> http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/ati-yum-livna/
> "Configuring an ATI card using YUM and the LIVNA Repository"
> helped me solve the problem.  I needed to "point" /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
> to /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1
>
> To do this, as root delete the existing soft link and create the right
> link:
> %cd /usr/lib
> %rm libGL.so.1  (it is a soft link)
> %ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1
>
> I also had to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Between the Unofficial FAQ and
> the other link, you should be able to see what needs to be changed or
> added.  If you cannot get direct rendering then, post a request for my
> xorg.conf.
>
> Hope this keeps others from the week of pain I just had.

Dave: I would appreciate if you could post the video sections of your
xorg.conf
I'm dealing with a laptop with RV350 Mobility Radeon 9600 M10
I've tried both livna's and freshrpms' drivers - I've uninstalled and
reinstalled a dozen times in different patterns; I've used all the commands
to re-write xorg.conf - I keep getting the [Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI"
missing on display "0:0".] error when I check for direct rendering

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA