OT: Sendmail alias forwarding: stop DSN backscatter?

I'm starting to maintain an old, horked server running RH 7.2.  (Until I
can move it to CentOS 4.4, at least.)  It's been a spam relay for years, as
it had RELAY_LOCAL_FROM enabled until recently.  It still gets lots of spam
attempts.

All the mail sent TO it is forwarded via aliases to other places.  AOL, at
least, notices most of the spam and DSN 5.0.0's it.  Sendmail then sends
DSN backscatter to the victim's From: address.  This will still be an issue
when the server is moved to CentOS.

I would like to have mail be deemed "received" regardless of whether it was
then forwarded successfully.  Can I do this with sendmail?  Or can I do
this with procmail doing the forwarding?

I tried to disable DSN by:  added noreceipts to PRIVACY_FLAGS, ran m4
("noreceipt" made it into /etc/sendmail.cf), and ran "service sendmail
restart", but I still see DSNs in the log.  Does noreceipt only disable DSN
/during/ the initial SMTP transaction, but not after?  Or is the sendmail
too old, or does noreceipts do something else?