Re: problem with ifcfg-script with wireless adapter

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 20:44 +0000, Alastair McKinley wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to set up a Belkin usb wireless adapter on FC6.  Its the
> rt73 chipset and as such I had to download and compile the driver for
> it.
>
> Having done this, I am trying to get it to come up correctly on boot.
> So I launched system-config-network and edited the relevant settings.
>
> However when i do,
>
> /sbin/ifdown rausb0
> /sbin/ifup rausb0
>
> the WEP settings are not configured correctly.  iwconfig shows that
> encryption is off.
>
> So to get it to connect, I need to do this:
>
> sudo /sbin/iwconfig rausb0 key open
> sudo /sbin/iwconfig rausb0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> It then works.  ifcfg-rasub0 looks like this:
>
> # belkin rt73 usb
> DEVICE=rausb0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> IPADDR=192.168.1.101
> HWADDR=00:17:3F:71:62:72
> ONBOOT=yes
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
> DOMAIN=
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Wireless
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> ESSID=xxxxx
> CHANNEL=11
> MODE=Managed
> RATE=Auto
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
>
> The file keys-rausb0 is also there and it has the right key in it.  Is
> there something I am missing here?

The startup scripts don't look for a "keys-name-of-device" file.  You
should specify the security mode with a line:

	SECURITYMODE=open

And you'll have to imbed the keys in the ifcfg-rausb0 file as one of the
following:

	KEY="xxxxxxxxxxxx"
	KEY1="xxxxxxxxxxx"
	KEY2="xxxxxxxxxxx"
	KEY3="xxxxxxxxxxx"
	KEY4="xxxxxxxxxxx"
	DEFAULTKEY="xxxxxxxxxx"

This is all in the "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless"
script.

Of course, if you wish to put the "KEY=" stuff in a separate file and do
a ". /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-rausb0" inside the
ifup-wireless script before the bits of the script that use it, by all
means have at it.  :-)
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -