Re: How to play an audio CD?

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 21:40 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I had sound, I just could not get the CD to do anything with xmms.  I
expected it would "just work."

You probably have to play with the options, a lot, to use XMMS.  You'll
need to fake a mount point in its configuration, so you can choose the
CD to play in the file lister.  You *might* need to use the audio lead
between player and sound card (you can choose to do so, or use digital
audio, but that requires a CD drive that supports it, and not all do).
Ok, thanks for the info but I have already determined that the new cd drive I installed in the grandson's computer failed! It will not work with the original Windows 2000 [required for games] or FC6, a spare drive I have does work. However something is corrupted in W2k or the main board has suffered a failure and Windows no longer sees the CD drive although Linux does?

I don't deal well with Windows troubleshooting and reinstalling with the parental control, firewall, wireless lan, etc. is not a welcome prospect! Why me? Everything was working when I finished the effort a couple of days ago.

Bob Goodwin