Re: Program comparison for a no-talent artist ??

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have spent a considerable amount of time learning to use the Gimp. I
> don't regret that time, but recently I have been looking at InkScape
> which seems more in line with the kind of thing I like to do.  But I am
> concerned about a long steep learning curve.
>
> The Gimp seems mainly oriented towards manipulating photographs and
> existing pictures, clip art, etc.
>
> I need a program for creating logo's, diagrams and illustrations for
> articles and manuals that *may* end up on the Web.
>
> As an example, I find TuxPaint for children handy.  I wish there was an
> adult version.
>
> I am asking for experienced peoples opinion on whether going from using
> the Gimp to learning InkScape is likely to be worth the amount of work I
> would have to put in.  I.e., having learnt some of Gimp will it be
> equally as difficult learning to the same level, how to use InkScape?
>
> All opinions will be welcomed.

Well, from another no-talent 'artist'  I believe the Gimp, Photoshop
et. al. have the steepest learning curve due to the many filters with
names that don't speak to anyone but professionals.

Vector based are comparatively easy, but depending on features, may
get a little clumsy (hey you get what you need, you can always use a
pencil and a scanner!) Inkscape, Xara, and Adobe Illustrator are all
good examples of feature-rich programs (You might look into Xara I
have seen a lot of features that are very nice! though I'm not sure if
it is available as an rpm, you may have to install a tarball.)

As for programs similar to tuxpaint, there are some,  check
sourceforge etc.  This type of painting has lost favor.  I used a few
different very powerful programs under the Amiga OS (Deluxe Paint and
some others that I'd really have to concentrate to remember.)

Another group you didn't mention is the fear-inspiring 3D renderers,
and I won't talk much about them either as I am too chicken to use
them :-)

This was probably little help, but I hope it is a start

Scott