Re: Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

On 3/21/07, Hikaru Amano <kagesenshi.87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
just noticed something new on the net

http://niath.blogspot.com/2007/03/command-not-found.html

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+source/command-not-found

guess like another +1 for ubuntu .. how about a port for yum from
Fedora?? or perhaps for apt-rpm - or maybe something distro
independent (we'll help other distros too - not just ourselves)..
although majority of us wont need it anyway, but still , thats
something nice to have .. (and yup, I know about yum provides)

I saw this too. I thought that it was a neat hack to bash that could
likely be modified for any package manager but was wondering what the
implications of it were:
- how would scripts handle it ... does it spit out the right error codes
- I see the blog entry has been updated with run times but would this
hold true for a yum backend
- how would it handle alternative provides for that command ... who
would decide which was the default suggestion ... I could imagine the
list threads of doom surrounding that
- do you want to make commandline easier for noobs or do you want to
make a distro where they never have to use the commandline.

But hey ... if you are keeping score, IMHO:
+1 Fedora for tight integration of SELinux providing a robust security
layer ... which is admittedly complex but users don't even have to
think about if they use targeted or don't have strange custom apps
that ignore SELinux.
+1 Redhat/Fedora for supplying the vast majority of upstream kernel
work that benefits *every* distro
+1 Fedora for providing a means to install all that you want without
relying on broadband
+1 Fedora for providing better server tools/glue via system-config-*
and good default config choices
+1 Fedora for better detection and auto-config of hardware changes
(note this is not better hardware support but less user interaction
needed when major sections of hardware are swapped out)
+1 Fedora for more installation options

So that would make it 6 to 2 ... however, you could go back and forth
debating the relative merits and balkanizing groups but there is
something that the Gnome and KDE devs realized a while back when they
started to work cooperatively on Linux desktop standards rather than
fighting one another ... a rising tide lifts all boats. So we
shouldn't be hating other distro makers (with the possible exception
to Novell), we should be saving our fighting spirit for the bigger war
to be waged ... I'll let you figure out who that should be against ;]

/Mike