Re: Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Am 16.03.2007 13:38 Uhr schrieb "Timothy Murphy" unter
<tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Yesterday I downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu Live CD (6.06),
> and it worked like perfectly on the 4 machines I tried it on.

Yes, this is what is called a stable Version of Ubuntu.

> The rather ancient version of Knoppix I have
> also works perfectly on all the machines I have tried it on.

Which is also a Stable Release of Knoppix

> I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
> and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.

I downloaded both, DVD and CD Torrent of F7 Test 1 and 2.

Both worked like a charm on my machine.

> I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully booted from this CD,
> but I only got advice on how to test the CD;
> nobody replied that they had actually got it to work.

I did not answer but yes, it worked for me.

> In my experience there is something basically wrong
> with the CD reading part of Fedora CDs,
> as many people report problems installing Fedora this way.

Why should it? Did you verify the sha1 summs of your download?

Did you test the same CD on a bunch of identical Machines/CD Drives?

Did you try to burn the CD with 4x speed only? Then test again?

--

 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,