Re: Mount external USB disk at boot up

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 18:40 +0100, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> I have an external 250 GB hard disk that I use for backup. I use Gnome
> and when I log into Gnome it automounts. But if I am not
> logged in Gnome it is not mounted. I'd like to have it mounted all the
> time. I'd like to be able to get the backups running even if no user
> is logged in.
>
> I have it formatted with ext3.
>
> One way I understand it can be done is to enter a line in /etc/fstab.
> I entered the following line:
>
> /dev/sdb1            /media/Backup           ext3    auto,hotplug,defaults 1
>
> (I have a physical /media/Backup dir created with the right
> permissions).
>
> but I got an error at the bootup process telling me that the filesytem
> was not ready, it didn't like that line. What is the right syntax for
> the fstab line? (I also tried once to put LABEL=Backup insted of
> /dev/sdb1 since this is the label of the disk and it froze completely
> at that line, had to boot in with live cd and erase manually).
>
> I understand that there is also a way of using autofs to have the disk
> be mounted automatically when I try to access it, but I haven't been
> able to figure out how to configure it (change the /etc/auto.master
> file?).
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> --
> Walter Garcia-Fontes
> Barcelona

I would use the same fourth argument as your other disks. defaults
should be good enough. You need two numbers at the end. I would make
them 1 2. Your main disk is 1 1 so this should nod conflict with that.
All this is explained in man fstab.
How can you do 'New Math' problems with an 'Old Math' mind? -- Charles
Schulz