Re: Networked hard drive

Ingemar Nilsson wrote:
Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Any ideas?

No ideas about your current device, sorry.

I have a recommendation for you though, and that is the Linksys Network
Storage Link (NSLU2), which is an embedded (fanless) computer running Linux
that connects USB2 drives to the network. It comes with Samba and a web
interface out of the box, but several enhanced firmwares exist that enable
you to do almost anything with it. I use mine as an SSH server, which is
especially nice with SSHFS/FUSE, as I don't have to care about Samba to
access it.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1118334819312&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1931222279B73

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

I just wish there was something like SSHFS for Windows so that my
Windows-using brother would be able to access it without jumping though too
many hoops (like turning off local file and printer sharing, as Windows
cannot connect to file shares on other ports than the default ones, and
other ports are required since it is tunneled though SSH). :)

Will the device run openvpn? If so, you should be able to use that for the tunnel and use the normal ports.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx