Re: morning update, using smart - FIXED!!!!!!!

On Sunday 18 March 2007, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On 18/03/07, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> At this point, what I would ordinarily do now is fire up gdb, and step
>> through the stupid thing to see exactly what it's doing.  But, if you
>> knew how to do this, I'd think you would've done it already, I
>> presume, so that's not going to work.  Time to try a different
>> approach.
>
>First would come simple tests with "fc-list" and "fc-cache -v
> /usr/share/fonts".

We've done the latter many times now, with the same error output.

The former spits out a list of fonts, and its pretty eclectic, but one
thing sticks out, none of the msttcorefonts seem to be listed there.

>> It looks to me like that there's a corrupted file somewhere that the
>> stupid thing is trying to read, and when it can't make heads or tails
>> of it, it blows up.
>
>/etc/fonts/fonts.conf could turn out to be a hot tip,

Is this an xml file in disguise? Both it and local.conf appear to be xml
code, although that's not anything I've ever walked around in, so I
wouldn't know a bad file if it hit me over the head.

>as nothing has
>written to /var/cache/fontconfig since Nov 9th. Reinstalling the
>fontconfig package or just the config file might be enough.

I went to rpmfind and found it, dl'd it and did this, which seems
self-explanatory:
[root@coyote dlds-rpms]# ls fontconfig*
fontconfig-2.4.1-3.fc6.i386.rpm
[root@coyote dlds-rpms]# rpm -q fontconfig
fontconfig-2.4.1-3.fc6
[root@coyote dlds-rpms]# rpm -ivh --force --nodeps
fontconfig-2.4.1-3.fc6.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
   1:fontconfig             ###########################################
[100%]
/usr/share/fonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/bitmap-fonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/default: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu-fonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu-lgc: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/japanese: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/japanese/TrueType: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/japanese/misc: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/linux-libertine: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/perl: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/terminus-font: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/tv-fonts: failed to write cache
/root/.fonts: failed to write cache
/root/.fonts/kde-override: failed to write cache
/usr/local/share/fonts: failed to write cache
error: %post(fontconfig-2.4.1-3.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 19

Sob, moan, sniff, same story.  What else could this be?  Humm, using mc,
the swiss army knife of file managers, I find that the font.conf in
my /etc/fonts directory is a hair over 11k, but the one in the rpm is
only 5239 in length.  So I forcibly overwrote the one in /etc/fonts with
the one from the rpm, something I would have expected the install command
line I gave rpm above to do, no questions asked.  But it DIDN'T!

But guess what folks:
[root@coyote yum]# fc-cache -v
/usr/share/fonts: skipping, 0 fonts, 4 dirs
/usr/share/fonts/bitmap-fonts: skipping, 31 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera: skipping, 10 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/share/fonts/default: skipping, 0 fonts, 2 dirs
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1: caching, 35 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript: skipping, 8 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu-lgc: skipping, 21 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1: skipping, 29 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/share/X11/fonts/OTF: skipping, no such directory
/root/.fonts: caching, 75 fonts, 1 dirs
/root/.fonts/kde-override: caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/local/share/fonts: caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts: skipping, no such directory
/var/cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
/var/cache/fontconfig: invalid cache file: test-by-gene
fc-cache: succeeded

Now my question is "why was it 'skipping' many of those?"?  However, if I
run it without any arguments, presuming it would only output errors, its
5 seconds of silence and the prompt is back.

Yay! Whoopeee (and several other best left out of mixed company
expletives) I *think* the SOB is fixed.  But, whyinhell didn't rpm fix it
when I _distinctly_ told it too?  That I believe is something the rpm
maintainers need to check out, ASAP!!!!  It should have at least made
an .rpmsave out of the old one it found and written the archive copy in
its place, but it didn't touch it!

IMNSHO, that failure=rpm IS busted.  And this definitely isn't rocket
science to come to that conclusion.

ggrRRROOOOOWWWWLLLLLLLLllllll.......

Somebody with more patience for bz than I have right now should fwd this
whole damned tread to bugzilla.  Underlined, capitalized, complete with
all the sound effects of a frustrated user.  I hope the neighbors don't
call the law to have them investigate all the screaming coming from our
little gully in the West Virginia hills.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)