Re: morning update, using smart

On 18/03/07, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

At this point, what I would ordinarily do now is fire up gdb, and step
through the stupid thing to see exactly what it's doing.  But, if you knew
how to do this, I'd think you would've done it already, I presume, so that's
not going to work.  Time to try a different approach.

First would come simple tests with "fc-list" and "fc-cache -v /usr/share/fonts".

It looks to me like that there's a corrupted file somewhere that the stupid
thing is trying to read, and when it can't make heads or tails of it, it
blows up.

/etc/fonts/fonts.conf could turn out to be a hot tip, as nothing has
written to /var/cache/fontconfig since Nov 9th. Reinstalling the
fontconfig package or just the config file might be enough.