Re: Grub, MBR, Swap and Error

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 07:22 +0700, Bobex Scores wrote:
> I'm using FC6, Ubuntu6.10 and Slack11. and I install slack the last.
> After I install slack i dont like lilo, so i want to go back to FC6
> Grub, I insert FC6 DVD installer and type "linux rescue" and in
> konsole I do :
> # grub
>   grub> root (hd0,1)

This selects the /boot partition that contains the rest of GRUB.  It
only matters for getting GRUB to start.  With a multi-boot system you
may have ended up with a few installations of GRUB, one per OS.  That
doesn't matter, you only need to use one of them.

> grub> setup (hd0)

That sets up where GRUB starts from.  In this case the MBR of the first
hard drive.

> and I restart, yes it worked, but after 6 hours, i restart my computer
> and it say grub hardisk error, so i heve to do that step again, and it
> works again, and error again after restar.

That sounds awfully like you might have a defective hard drive.

> After I boot to fedora with grub from ubuntu, i get the message :
> " unable to access resume device in LABEL=SWAP-hda5 "

This just means that Fedora is looking in the swap space to see if you'd
hibernated your computer rather than shut it down.  If you'd hibernated
it, RAM contents would have been dumped to the swap space, and the
computer could resume from where you left it.  If you hadn't hibernated,
or the OS can't manage to resume, it'll just boot up normally.

If you don't hibernate your PC (suspend to disc), then don't worry about
it.

> I figure that this error because I install slackware, and slackware
> change the swap prperties, so FC6 can read it.

You can share swap between OSs, as long as you don't care about trying
to make use of it between reboots.  You can set up separate swap spaces
per OS, but that'll use more disc space.

> before I install slackware in /dev/disk/by-label , I found "SWAP-hda5"
> and i got no eror message like that, but after i install slack the
> "SWAP-hda5" is gone, so that's why i think FC6 got confused. how could
> i bring back that label to my swap partition so the error is fixed.

You can change the fstab file so that it refers to the swap space by
device label (e.g. /dev/hda3 or whatever number partition yours really
is), instead of using a label.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.